· The ability to produce, distribute, provide access and preserve scholarly output within the academic community is changing.
· Costs are rising to acquire scholarly research produced by our faculties.
· Declining budgets and increased journal costs hamper the ability to acquire research created by faculty.
· Improved technologies exist to produce, distribute, access and preserve scholarly research at a sustainable level.
· Publishing in an open access journal or repository increases exposure to an institutions research activities.
· Researchers are provided free and unrestricted full text access to a variety of scholarly materials.
· Open access initiatives address funding mandates which require research to be publically available.